Friday, May 19, 2006

A little piece of chaos

I decided yesterday afternoon, that since it was the weekend, I would go to Ramallah with a friend for the evening. However, the Israeli Defense Force (sic) had decided to stop all traffic going in and out of Ramallah yesterday, at least along the major roads. So about a kilometer from where the flying checkpoint usually gets set up, due to massive congestion, we had to get out of the bus and start walking. My friend referred to this as Palestinian sports. However, when we got the point in the road where the army was suppose to be, there was nothing but cars. While the checkpoint had been removed, the congestion it caused remained long after, since people simply couldn't wait patiently, and had blocked the opposite side of the road. Collective punishment was never easier to administer, or more readily aided.

After walking a few kilometers more to get to Ramallah, I then had the misfortune later in the evening of eating some dodgy fried chicken, which cut my night rather short. Thankfully the congestion had long since cleared by the time I made my way home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better.