Friday, March 31, 2006

Back in Palestine

The thing about traveling to Palestine, which as a foreigner you have to do via either Tel Aviv or the Allenby Bridge (on Jordanian border), is the amount of unpredictablity involved. For instance, I didn't think I would speak to an immigration officer who was so tired she thought the place I was traveling to sounded like an Israeli company. However, this speeded my arrival so I appreciated her mistake. I thought this time might be the most difficult after the spate of kidnappings a couple of weeks ago. Instead, it was perhaps the easiest. It just goes to show, states are more penetrable than there sometimes made out to be, because they are the sum of their parts. And when their parts are tired they're not quite so fearsome as they can seem at other times.

It's really nice and warm at the moment, and there's also a gentle breeze blowing in from the coast so it doesn't get too hot. Arriving very early in the morning, I also got to witness the amazing morning fog patches, which cover small areas of land like ghosts. It's a surreal experience to enter one, since your visibility is immediately reduced to less than 10 meters. Then you suddenly pop out the other side and everything is clear again.

No comments: