Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Election Section, Part 3 - The Morning After ('Shabba')

Well folks, I'd better get a move on since the news is already overtaking my ability to publish timely blogs.
I got up this morning and swung by the supermarket (in Palestine these are more like mini-markets) to ask J. about the results.
He told me that some people suggested a Fatah victory, while others were celebrating a Hamas win. As usual in Palestine, no one really has a clue what's going on, but they'll stick with their version of events as if it were the truth anyway.
The local Hamas group, who have their HQ across the valley from where I'm staying, were partying all night. I woke up at 5am and they were still going, and it was really cold and wet last night too. Still, you can't extinguish a joyful spirit. And since Hamas had no seats in the previous election then they were bound to win whatever the outcome.

However, as I write this: Breaking News
The Fatah PM and cabinet has quit and invited Hamas to form a new government. So there you have it. A new government. A new 'Islamic" Palestine?
We'll wait and see what the Central Election Committee come up with this afternoon when the official vote is announced.

No comments: