Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Searching for Dr Nasser

Dr Hanna Nasser is a very esteemed gentleman around these parts. He was the first president of Birzeit University and is now the chief commissioner for the Central Elections Committee. I’ve been trying to speak with him.

Easier said than done.

First I tried asking around the village to see if anyone knew him. Of course, everyone ‘knows’ him, but no one has his mobile. Then I get his home phone number from directory enquiries. I call frequently for two days and get no answer.

So I call the Election Committee office. First time, no one is answering the main switchboard. Second try, I get through to a secretary before the line goes dead abruptly. Third try I get through to a guy who says Dr Nasser is busy and I should call back in five minutes. On my fourth try I have a conversation with the secretary, who says Dr Nasser has left the country for a week, but takes my phone number.

I don’t think I’ll be talking to Dr Nasser.

A lot of the time research is fun. But often it’s really hard work too.

No comments: